Ages 56+ in Nashville, TN
As you enter adulthood, your lifestyle will change, and you need ophthalmology services that are specific for patients ages 56 and older. Jeffrey D. Horn, MD, of Vision for Life offers ophthalmology services and vision solutions by age to maximize the treatment outcomes for the residents of Nashville, Murfreesboro and the surrounding communities of Tennessee.
What Vision Changes Happen from Ages 56+?
After age 55, your eyes go through significant changes that slowly affect your vision. The presbyopia, or problem with close-up vision, continues to develop from your mid-40s to later in life. The lens hardens and may also become discolored and cloudy, two symptoms of a cataract. Everyone develops cataracts at some point, and most cases occur in patients over 60 years old. Some symptoms of cataracts are:
- Blurry vision
- Colors look duller
- Halos around lights
- Glare when driving
- Difficulty reading in low light
- Double vision
- Frequent changes in your eyeglass or contact lens prescription
What are Vision Solutions for Ages 56+?
The primary vision solution for patients ages 56+ is cataract treatment. The cataract can only be treated with surgery to remove the degraded lens of the eye. Dr. Horn recommends cataract surgery to patients 56+ whose cataracts are interfering with a person’s quality of life and daily activities.
What Types of Vision Solutions are Common for People Ages 56+?
Cataracts are corrected using intraocular lenses, or IOLs. Dr. Horn specializes in three types of lens replacements for cataracts:
- Correcting distance vision with a monofocal IOL to simultaneously remove the cataract and correct problems with seeing at a distance. You may still need reading glasses for reading and intricate work close to your eyes, such as needlepoint.
- Correcting distance vision and astigmatism using a toric lens. If your astigmatism is too severe for the toric lens, Dr. Horn may recommend a combination of lens replacement and relaxing incisions.
- Correcting distance and near vision with multifocal or accommodating IOLs to improve vision at all ranges. Dr. Horn uses ReSTOR®, Crystalens®and Tecnis® lenses for these procedures. ReSTOR® uses the same design as microscopes and telescopes to improve your vision. Crystalens® allows the eyes to focus more naturally compared to other lens options. Tecnis® is recommended for higher-order aberrations, a type of higher-level vision error.
How Much Do Vision Solutions for Ages 56+ Cost in Nashville?
The cost of your vision solutions for ages 56 and older may be covered by your vision and medical insurance. We accept cash, check and major credit cards, including Visa®, MasterCard®, and American Express®, for your out-of-pocket costs, such as a co-payment, deductible and co-insurance, and any other remaining balance. Financing is available through Alphaeon™ Credit and CareCredit®.
Patients ages 56 and older achieve the best possible results at Vision for Life. Jeffrey D. Horn, MD, offers vision solutions by age to enhance outcomes for the residents of Nashville, Murfreesboro and the surrounding communities of Tennessee. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please contact us today!